Do you like working behind the scenes, or are you curious about technical theatre? Joining our crew is an exciting opportunity that is open to all students at the University of British Columba! Whether you have experience designing masterful sets, have worked as a stagehand, or are just an avid Broadway fan, CHICAGO will provide a new experience that is both challenging and extremely rewarding.
Joining the crew is a fantastic opportunity to explore all of the little things that have to be coordinated to make a theatrical world come to life, and we would love to have you join our backstage team under the guidance of Rafa and Elsa, our Stage Managers, and Maya, our Technical Director! Our environment is inclusive for theatre enthusiasts at all skill levels, and we aim to provide a supportive space for all our crew members to develop new technical skills and challenge their current theatrical knowledge.
CHICAGO the Musical:
In roaring twenties Chicago, chorine Roxie Hart murders a faithless lover and convinces her hapless husband, Amos, to take the rap – until he finds out he’s been duped and turns on Roxie. Convicted and sent to death row, Roxie and another merry murderess, Velma Kelly, vie for the spotlight and the headlines, ultimately joining forces in search of the “American Dream”: fame, fortune, and acquittal.
Positions for CHICAGO:
The world of Chicago is a period piece that can inspire incredible feats of design in transporting our audience to this deadly, jazzy era. We’re looking for enthusiastic crew members to help bring this vision to life:
Assistant Stage Manager, 1 position available
Assistant Set Designer, 1 position available
Costume Designer, 2 – 3 positions available
Hair and Makeup Designer, 1 – 2 positions available
Props Designer, 1 – 2 positions available
Lighting Designer, 1 position available
Sound Designer, 1 position available
Lightboard Operator, 1 position available
Soundboard Operator, 1 position available
Stagehands, 2 – 5 positions available
Please read more about the responsibilities and time commitment of each role here.
- Dedication. Members of our team will demonstrate excellent communication and dedication to attend relevant meetings. Our production team is expected to respond promptly to and work closely with our technical director and stage manager to create the look and sound of our productions.
- Time commitment. All designers and crew members will be expected to attend a one hour weekly production meeting. In addition to production meetings, production crew members are required to commit to attending various rehearsals, which will vary depending on the position.
- Participation fee. If accepted, crew members are asked to pay a $15 participation fee. This is a small fee to help support the production, as we perform in a professional venue and aim to create high-quality productions. Crew members will also receive a production shirt as part of this cost. If you are selected but have difficulty paying this fee, please email us at email@example.com or speak with a club executive team member.
Applying for CHICAGO:
- Complete this application form by Monday, January 13 at 10:00 AM..
- Successful applicants will receive an email by Monday, January 13 at 8:00 PM.
Thank you for your interest in the crew! We are very excited about the upcoming year and can’t wait to welcome you to the team. For any crew-specific inquiries, please email Maya at firstname.lastname@example.org.